Thursday, November 18, 2021

The Capital "I" Project

 




The Capital I Project
Join me in an examination of just who and how the heck I am. As I look back on the path I took in becoming the person I am today it dawned on me that while I'm fairly comfortable in my skin, I doubt that my memories, impressions and assumptions about myself are even reasonably accurate.
I've started with a short list of things that I believe but also wonder about. President Kennedy's speech writer, Theodore Sorenson may have written, "Often wrong, never in doubt". I think that describes me perfectly. My mommy always said that she thought I'd rather be right than president. I think that's a perfect grasp of my nature too. But which one is right ?
Yes, I did call her and refer to her that way. I don't remember anybody, even in high school who thought, or at least mentioned that it was strange. Maybe some did and I just didn't care. I've always taken some pride or pleasure in doing my own thing, so to speak. Whatever was popular or conventional wisdom just didn't seem compelling to me.
And that's where I'll start my quest for myself. I place a great value on my own individuality. I even think it's great for other people and have often though less of folks who just follow the crowd rather than think about things for themselves. I am not trying to say it's okay to look down on anyone just being honest that I have.
So what am I conflicted about ? I'm willing to defend your right to be what I'd call wrong on any number of subjects. I've got your back if you want to be a Nazi, but I would happily punch you in the nose too. You have the right to be a bigot, anti-vaxxer, gun nut and the list goes on. Don't expect me to agree with you and do expect a heated argument but I figure if you aren't doing anything that hurts anyone, you can believe whatever floats your boat.
Also if I'm being honest, I do have guns, skip some vaccines and miss telling a lot of jokes. I sometimes forget my mask too, but I feel really guilty every time.
So, what say you - and please do. Should I share my quest for inner enlightenment or keep it to myself ? Do you have similar or conflicting thoughts that you can add ? Is the extra space in front of the question mark helpful or just distracting ? My "enquiring mind" wants to know

I got a little engagement on this as a facebook post. Not as much as I'd have liked, but thats okay too. Link provided if you care to see the comments over there.



No comments:

Post a Comment